Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Training

 

sols_green

Ding-Dong     Ding-Dong  Ding-Dong Knock      Knock Knock  Knock

I was only ten feet from the door, but whoever was outside was anxious to have the door open. I grabbed the yellow bowl full of lollipops and opened the door. Before me stood three Arab boys, about 12 years old, dressed in jeans and t-shirts rustling plastic grocery bags.

“Happy Halloween” they say, in near unison. Ah, I think to myself. This is a scene I want to capture on film. This is my moment to train the “natives” on American customs.

You need to say ‘trick-or-treat’ I tell the adolescent boys. “Trick-or-treat” they each say as they grab for a couple of lollipops. They turn and head off grinning. I figure they were thinking they just discovered the best way to get free candy, ever!

(Perhaps next year I should have face paint to teach the costume aspect of the ritual.)

3 comments:

  1. Those older kids who come by, no matter what, seem to be gleeful for the sugar. Fun that you found a way to show these boys the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grabber lead added to the excitement. I liked your thinking you sprinkled in.
    My oldest son and friends went trick or treating in a neighborhood who invited high school students. I thought that was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a stickler about saying "trick or treat" at my house too. So many kids (even the little ones) just hold out their bags. I insist upon interaction, but I really love Halloween because of the moment you describe at the end: the running off giggling!

    ReplyDelete