Thursday, March 8, 2012

Expert

March SOLC

My students had a hands-on project they were working on for social studies. This project had many steps, which we had been working on, little bits at a time, for weeks. As students became ready to put it all together I knew, from experience, that they would arrive at vastly different times.

I had finally figured out that I was not going to be the one to try and show each student how to do the 'final assembly'. Instead I showed the first two students who were ready. Subsequent students who wanted to assemble had to ask an 'expert'. It was fantastic to sit back and allow them to rely on one another. I did period spot checks, but mostly I observed the dynamics of people working together. My absolute favorite part was one afternoon when as student was finally ready to put it all together. He declared to the class, "I need an expert." To which three students replied, "I am an expert!"

"Why did it take me so long to figure this out?" I wondered to myself, with an enormous grin on my face.

7 comments:

  1. That's the way to divide and conquer a task! I love the student asking for an expert and immediately three replied. Learning together, that's powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. Our students are ready for so much more responsibility that we often give them. And the opportunity to help each other teaches them so many life skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that strategy to work so well even in first grade. The "experts" also learned so much from the experience. Just warms your heart to listen to them helping each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you put when you "realized that they would arrive at vastly different times." Beautiful that the students responded so well & you had a break! Each one teach one is something another teacher taught me, kind of like Pay It Forward, isn't it? Nice to hear your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard for me to let go but when I do all of the students have the chance to be an expert! Thanks for the reminder and also thanks for commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh...I was just talking with kindergartner's today about being experts. It seems to be a title they willingly embrace. Thanks for this sweet slice today.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great that the kids know they are experts and that it feels good to share expertise.

    ReplyDelete