Sunday, March 20, 2016

SOLSC - Summer Camp

It's March - Time for the month long Slice of Life challenge thanks to Two Writing Teachers.

I can't imagine being a kid and having a summer that DIDN'T include summer camp. The type of camp is not nearly as important as being at camp. 

Summer, to me, means going to camp: 

New friends, singing, cooking over a fire, stars, beautiful scenery, opportunities for new activities.

Climbing into a sleeping bag at the end of the day; whispering in the dark and trying to giggle without being heard. 

Having a counselor, mosquito bites, and dirty clothes are all a part. 

There are others that aren't to be left out:

Going for hikes, "Are we there yet?", and switchbacks.

Dining halls, having to try a bit of everything, and K.P. duty.

The session ending, getting autographs, taking pictures, and having to leave - all with the promise of 'next year'!

This goes on from summer to summer to summer until... I'm not sure what happens. Camper becomes counselor becomes director, but eventually there is no more going off to camp and adventures take on new shape. 

Now I sign my daughter up for camp and get even more excited than she does as I know how much adventure awaits her at summer camp.

3 comments:

  1. I loved camp. I went every summer beginning at age 7 until age 16 and then I was too old and started having summer jobs in town. My children went to camp but never seemed to love it as much as I did. It's really a wonderful thing to be able to go to camp and have all those wonderful experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for the time when my sons are old enough to go to camp! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Camp Wapsie as a child--I have such great memories. I felt so grown-up rolling out my sleeping bag and saying goodbye to my parents...I'm sure your daughter will love it, too!

    ReplyDelete