Monday, March 14, 2016

SOLSC - We All Have These Days

It's March - Time for the month long Slice of Life challenge thanks to Two Writing Teachers.

It is much later than I normally post. That is due to a very significant factor; I haven't written yet today. Great correlation, huh? And why haven't I written? Well, I haven't felt grabbed by a moment that has screamed (or even whispered) "Write about me!"

Yes, I spent the day with a classroom full of fifth graders.

Yes, I had encounters with my daughter this morning. (In fact, one that might be worth writing about except that I think I would not like to relive it, which - let's face it - is often what happens when we try to take a moment and translate it to words.) And more this evening.

Yes, I am engrossed in the Iditarod.

Yes, I have had some meaningful time with my husband.

Yes, I spent nearly an hour and a half talking with my mom.

Yes, my best friend is trying to figure out how to make the college of her daughter's dreams a reality, but only if it is the right choice overall (read: financially).

Yes, home got hit with a storm yesterday that has had crazy stories like this and this and this.

Yes, I need to book our flights home for the summer, but not knowing how much money we will be given for the tickets leaves me second guessing. Do I stick with the routing we have always used? Since it is months later than I usually book the price is a higher than I have ever paid. Do I try another route, through an airport I hate? Do I try something completely different? Do we fly together? Do I ask my husband to drive himself the 300 kilometers from the airport to home just to turn around two days later and come get us so we can stay in Seattle for one more Sunday of fellowship? Sigh.

Yet none of them these compelled me to sit and write a slice. Now bed time is nearly here and the pressure is upon me and I don't know what to say. We all have these days; full of moments, yet no moment rises to the top. Today was a true 'day in the life' in all the normalcy of life. And now I will head upstairs to get ready for bed and read a bit before falling into dream land. Tomorrow I will awake and my journey to find a moment will begin again. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

2 comments:

  1. If you don't write it, who will? The nothingness that didn't compel you to write, compelled you to write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happens to me all the time.

    Usually, I just look to my children and try to slow down one moment of our day for a Slice. It usually works.

    ReplyDelete