Tuesday, October 18, 2016

A Service I Provide


There is a day each year where both students' and parents' anxiety is high. In order to alleviate the stress and concern I have taken to providing a service. A week or two prior I explicitly explain to parents what I will be doing. On the day of I share this information with my students and let them know that I have already told their parents of my services. They then line up, alphabetically by last name, and we silently pass through the halls until we arrive in the designated location. The nervous tittering commences as they wait. I position myself, ready to act, and the photographer calls for the first student.

What is this service? I ensure that no stray threads or fluff adorn any child. I check that there are not wrinkles or funny lumps in outfits. All stray hairs are smoothed or moved. Finally, standing over the photographer's shoulder, I entice a true smile from each child. (Culturally a true smile is not always encouraged for photographs. This is taken into account and at least a pleasant look is cajoled.) Ultimately we all feel great relief that we have succeeding in our task, be it in front of - or behind - the camera.

1 comment:

  1. The best part of school pictures was how goofy everyone looked. All of the fluff and lumps show the real student, in my mind. I'm probably the only one who feels that way!

    ReplyDelete