Tuesday, October 31, 2017

The Morphing of Time



Character Day at school morphs into Halloween in the evening. "I'm late! I'm late, for a very important date!" as I carry a clock around with me, forgetting about the bunny ears and tail poof until a five year old exclaims, "She's a BUNNY!" in a stage whisper to their classmates. A community in which kids can run from house to house as parents saunter behind in conversation - homemade treats are still safe and appreciated. The moon glows and the pool lights glisten.

Somehow November is up on the calendar in my classroom. How is it possible that we are approaching the end of first quarter? If first quarter has flown this quickly it will be June when I next stop to think about it.

It feels like Monday (2nd day of the week in these parts) and Thursday (aka Friday to most people) all at the same time. I'm not sure how this is possible. I do know that when I realized my Wednesday morning meeting is tomorrow is how the reality of it being Tuesday and thus "Slice of Life" time already came as a surprise.

The days are shortening and I keep expecting those who mess with their time to change my timezone bingo, yet it hasn't happened yet. A childhood of October 'fall back' is engrained in my expectations so I'm thrown off kilter.

How is time going for you?

2 comments:

  1. Time is just so crazy! The way it can speed up and slow down - and surprise you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about your weeks being different. Mondays being your 2nd school day of the week and Thursdays your Friday. Interesting to think about. I do love falling back, but abhor springing forward.

    ReplyDelete